Friday, May 2, 2008

Weekend Preview

This has been one of those weeks. You know, the kind where you have lots to do and cant find much time to do it. As the weekend approaches I wanted to share a few thoughts with you.

During my devotion yesterday I came across something I thought I would share with you that you might could apply this weekend.

Luke 24:53 says "And they stayed continually at the temple praising God." The disciples loved the church and they loved praising God. This verse seems to indicate that they were at church for an extended period of time. They weren't bogged down with bulletins and the order of service, they went for one purpose and that was to praise God. If it took 30 minutes or all day long, it did not matter to them. The weren't held captive to being out by 12:00 noon, or any other dumb rule that old church people have come up with. They purpose was to go to church and praise God.

This verse has challenged me to attend church in a different way. Being on staff at a church, one can often get caught up in going to church as a job. I mean the moment I get here to the moment I leave I am working. However, that short time that I do get to go to worship I should be focused on worshiping God. Not VBS, Children's worship, camp, or who I am going to get to fill in the children's class that doesn't have a teacher. So this Sunday, when I enter the sanctuary its all about praising Jesus. Nothing more and nothing less. Hey, maybe, even maybe church will run past 12:00 noon. That's what I am praying for.

So next time you go to church. Forget about everything else and focus on one thing and one thing only. Praising Jesus.

No comments: