Wednesday, July 16, 2008

Energy, Enthusiasm, ER

Last week was a wonderful week as we headed to the mountains of Sunset, SC for a week of camp. The week was filled with lots of energy, enthusiasm, and yes there was even a trip to the ER.

Energy- From the moment the bus pulled up to the moment we left the energy from everyone was great. Lots of times when we think about energy and children, we tend to think of it in a negative way. Not this time, and not this camp. It was the best camp behavior wise that we have ever had. The children were awesome. They participated during game time, played hard during free time, and then Worshiped God like never before during our chapel time.

Enthusiasm- I must admit that I was really pumped going into the week of camp. From planning the chapels, to organizing the week, I was ready for God to show up and show out. Our team of volunteers had the most enthusiasm that I could ask for. Our volunteers just don't go to be chaperone's, they go to be ministers. They desire to see our boys and girls grow in their walk with Christ, and they pour their lives into the lives of our students. I am eternally grateful for all their hard work. The best part about them was that they did it with enthusiasm.

ER- I know what you are thinking. One of the students fell, broke their arm, and we had to take them to the ER. Well that's not quite how it happened. As a matter of fact, I am the one that ended up in the ER.

It all started on Thursday morning. After my morning Amp (energy drink), I began to feel sick. My stomach hurt, my head hurt, my chest hurt. After lunch my head and stomach pains ceased, but my chest was still hurting. I laid down hoping to sleep it off only to wake up short of breath and my chest pounding. I went to the nurse to tell her my condition, she called for a doctor that was there as a counselor (thank God) and they gave me some medication. After 20 minutes of not feeling better they sent me to the ER. All I could think was HEART ATTACK. Reminder I am only 26. The EKG showed nothing and all my vital signs were good.

The doctor comes in and begins to ask questions. After I told him that I had been throwing children in the pool for an hour and a half he finally understood why I was having chest pains. The fact that I was not having a heart attack was great news. The not so great news was that I had pulled some kind of muscle/cartilage in my chest. The great news is the medicine they gave me for it is awesome. The not so great news is that it is going to take a while for it to completely heal.

As for now, it is time to start planning for Camp 09.

No comments: