Friday, December 21, 2007

The Good and Not so Good

As I countdown to the greatest moment and not so greatest moments of this year I will start with the number 3 and then countdown to number 1.

Today I will reflect on sports. Erin says that I am obsessed with this concept. I say its my getaway from life. I don't which one of us is right, but I do know this. I am a die hard Gamecock. Don't misunderstand me, the Gamecocks are not the top priority in my life (Jesus and Erin would be at the top), but I do keep up with just about everything that goes on in Columbia. So as we countdown, I will talk about the Gamecocks today, and Jesus and Erin was the year ends.

The good #3- The gamecocks opened up the 2007 football season on a roll. For once would this be the year that we actually went through a whole season playing good football. With a 5th year Senior QB, a hard nosed running back, all conference defensive players, this is going to one special year. To top it off, Erin let me buy season tickets for the first time in my life. It all started on the first Saturday in September with a win over ULL . The next Saturday we go down between the hedges and beat those Bulldogs (2-0). The following Saturday SC State comes to town (3-0). The Gamecocks are now in the top 25 heading down to face the #2 team in the nation. The Gamecocks lose to LSU (not the end of the world) and fall to 3-1 and the schedule is shaping up nice. Next up was the Bulldogs of Mississippi State (Gamecocks win 4-1). The Gamecocks are now ranked #11 and host Kentucky on Thursday night. After a quick ran shower, two Eric Norwood defensive TDs, the Gamecocks have won the game and move into the top 10 at #8 in the country. Then it happened.

The Bad #3- The gamecocks head to Chapel Hill, NC to show who the real Carolina is. The first half could be listed under the good part of this review, however what happened in the second half proved to be the first crack in what turn out to be a very disappointing season. The Gamecocks lead 21-3 going into halftime only to hold on to a 21-16 victory (6-1 and ranked #6). What happened next is still a blur. Vandy comes to town and lays the smack down on us, we go to UT make a big comeback and take the lead only to get beat in OT, Arkansas is still running on our defense, Tebow is still scoring TDs, and then Clemson comes into town where we blow yet another lead and get beat on a last second field goal. After that we are 6-6, not going to a bowl game, and we are going to have to listen to all the Clemson crap for another 365 days.

In 2008 the Gamecocks should be much improved with a new DC (defensive coordinator), special teams coach, and lots of returning starters. OH, did I forget to mention that Steve Spurrier is still our head coach. The only question mark for this team will be at QB. Other than that, maybe just maybe it will be one heck of a year for Gamecock Football.

No comments: